In order to enroll in SAM, financial assistance applicants must first have a valid DUNS number assigned by Dun & Bradstreet. If the intended recipient does not have a DUNS number, they can request one online at DUNS numbers are free for Federal financial assistance applicants. Applicant and recipient entities are responsible for maintaining up-to-date information with Dun & Bradstreet. To confirm the validity of a DUNS number, go to and use the Search by D&B D-U-N-S Number feature.

Once registered in SAM, entities must renew and revalidate their SAM registration at least every 12 months from the date previously registered. Entities are strongly urged to revalidate their registration as often as needed to ensure that SAM is up to date and in synch with changes that may have been made to DUNS and IRS information. Non-domestic entities who wish to be paid to a bank account in the United States must enter and maintain valid and current banking information in SAM. If a recipient’s SAM registration expires during the course of an award, they must update their registration to continue to receive funds from the Federal government.

The Interior Business Center (IBC) will not process manual payments to recipients with expired SAM registrations. ASAP payments to recipients with expired SAM registrations will fail to clear to cash and create issues for the monthly financial reconciliation. Although individuals are not required to register in SAM, some did enroll in CCR/SAM in the past. If the SAM registration for an individual expires, payments to the recipient will be held (manual payments) or not clear to cash (ASAP payments) until the recipient either updates or deletes their registration in SAM.

For entities required to be in SAM, FWS program staff must check that an active SAM registration exists for the intended recipient. An entity that had an active record in CCR will have an active record in SAM. To check if the intended recipient is registered in SAM, go to and enter the entity’s DUNS number in the Search Records data entry field. The entity’s status must be “Active”. If the entity is registered in SAM, their registration status will appear on the top right-hand side of the returned record. If an active

SAM registration is not found, the entity must complete or revalidate their SAM registration at this point.

Registration in SAM and Dun & Bradstreet (DUNS) is free. There are businesses that provide services to entities to register or update SAM and DUNS.  These businesses charge a fee for their services. They are not part of the federal registration process and entities do not have to use them. If an entity believes it should not have been charged for the services it received, the Department of Interior is not able to assist directly. The applicant should seek a refund from the company itself, or contact agencies such as the Better Business Bureau for further assistance.