All grants and cooperative agreements
Program and contracting offices must post a funding opportunity in Grants.gov for all discretionary awards/programs 
In order to provide the public opportunity to view potential funding opportunities (as recipients and possible sub-grantees) thereby maintaining transparency consistent with the customer service mandates prescribed in P.L. 106-107, synopses of all cooperative agreement and discretionary grant funding opportunities must be posted to Grants.gov (www.grants.gov).  Posting exemptions are discussed here.
Only discretionary programs must post a funding opportunity in Grants.gov. The Financial Assistance Policy and Oversight office's "Issuing a New Financial Assistance Award Guidance" (May 11. 2012) provides directions on what program offices need to do when posting their funding opportunites in Grants.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a mandatory program use Grants.gov to receive applications but not post funding opportunities? 
Yes. If a mandatory program wishes to receive applications via Grants.gov but not post funding opportunities, they should:
- Post the funding opportunity synopsis from PRISM
- From Grants.gov (using a grantor user account), search for the PRISM-generated synopsis and attach the application package, notice of funding availability, and application instructions
- Delete the synopsis
- Communicate the funding opportunity number to the known applicant(s)
Can a mandatory program post their funding opportunities to Grants.gov? 
Yes. If a mandatory program wants their funding opportunity to show up in a general Grants.gov public search should:
- Post a synopsis from PRISM
- From Grants.gov (using a grantor user account), find the synopsis and change the synopsis Opportunity Category field from "Discretionary" (PRISM default) to "Mandatory"
- Update the Cost Sharing or Matching Requirements field, if needed
- Upload an application package, notice of funding availability, and application instructions
 FAPO, "Issuing a New Financial Assistance Award Guidance" (May 11. 2012) Section 5 B.
 505 DM 2.12
 FAPO's guidance document is available at insideFWS.
 FAPO, "Issuing a New Financial Assistance Award Guidance" (May 11, 2012) Section 5 B.