Applies to:

All grants and cooperative agreements


OMB-approved form for requesting advance payments or reimbursements for allowable expenditures. Constructions projects use SF-271 Outlay Report and Request for Reimbursement for Construction Programs. This form must be signed by award recipients.

43 CFR 12 Administrative Requirements (Restricted to awards with start dates prior to December 26, 2014)

12.81 Financial Reporting

(d) Request for advance or reimbursement—(1) Advance payments. Requests for Treasury check advance payments will be submitted on Standard Form 270, Request for Advance or Reimbursement. (This form will not be used for drawdowns under a letter of credit, electronic funds transfer or when Treasury check advance payments are made to the grantee automatically on a predetermined basis.)

(2) Reimbursements. Requests for reimbursement under nonconstruction grants will also be submitted on Standard Form 270. (For reimbursement requests under construction grants, see paragraph (e)(1) of this section.)

(e) Outlay report and request for reimbursement for construction programs—(1) Grants that support construction activities paid by reimbursement method. (i) Requests for reimbursement under construction grants will be submitted on Standard Form 271, Outlay Report and Request for Reimbursement for Construction Programs. Federal agencies may, however, prescribe the Request for Advance or Reimbursement form, specified in § 12.81(d), instead of this form.  

2 CFR 200 Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards

Unlike 43 CFR 12, the Uniform Guidance (2CFR 200) does not specifically identify either the SF-270 or SF-271 as the forms recipients use for advances or reimbursements of eligible expenditures incurred on Federal financial assistance awards. Instead, 2 CFR 200.305 ("Payment") states that, unless exempted by OMB, "Federal agencies must require recipients to use only OMB-approved standard governmentwide information collection requests to request payment." Currently, DOI and its bureaus use the SF-270/271. 

US Fish and Wildlife Policy

Both DOI and Service policy require financial assistance recipients to use the Department of Treasury Financial Management Service’s Automated Standard Application for Payments (ASAP) system when requesting award payments.[1] Non-domestic recipients and domestic recipients waived from ASAP use SF-270/271 to request award payments.[2] Fillable forms (SF-270/271) are available at (link).

Frequently Asked Questions


Related Pages

 ASAP - U.S. Treasury's Automated Standard Application for Payments

The USFWS Financial Assistance Systems (FAS) ASAP Information Wiki



[1] 516 FW 4 - Payment Management for Grant and Cooperative Agreement Awards

[2] ibid.